Friday, February 18, 2011

I dont want to be a mechanically speaking robot,I just want to be me !!!

As I mentioned earlier,I undertook speech therapy around 3 years ago in an attempt to cure my stutter.As is the case in most therapies(especially in India) I was taught to speak mechanically,use prefixes,etc.And I could even speak perfectly with these techniques,but something was amiss.I still couldnt feel as a normal speaker.I now know what was wrong.By applying these fluency techniques,I was forcing myself to be a speaking robot whose tone is so monotonous and boring that even I didnt like hearing it.In short,it wasnt me.Needless to say I used to forget speaking in that tone and started to stutter but I used to be much more at peace.Later I used to scold myself for forgetting the techniques but now I thank God I didnt change myself.
The point that I am trying to make here is that in your quest to achieve fluency,dont kill your true self and become a robot.I am not encouraging you to babble at an alarming speed,do talk slowly at a relaxed speed and take ypur pauses like most good orators do.Enjoy your speech.Dont talk in a monotonous tone and do wierd prolongations that you yourself dont like.
One thing more that my practioner taught me was using prefixes before feared words.At that time I thought"Wow!!! What an awsome technique!!!" But this approach is absolutely wrong.When you can say a feared word when you are alone,then you can say the same word in front of anyone out in the street.It just needs some dedication,hardwork and acceptance(and a bit voluntary stuttering,which I will be discussing later).

So to sum up,never lose contact with your true inner self by adding a new mechanical layer as this inner layer is directly attached to the holy spirit called God.

As usual,I would love your comments and if you want to send any contribution to make this blog better,please e-mail me at kathuria.dhruva@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment